Providence Health & Services
Imaging Center (PIC)
What to Expect After a UFE Procedure
More than 90% of women with excessive uterine bleeding experience a decrease in symptoms within one month of the procedure.
• Over 70% of women who have “bulk symptoms” (internal pressure from the fibroid size, pain with intercourse, urination problems) experience a decrease or complete resolution of the symptoms within three months.
• The fibroids decrease in size by an average of 45% to 60% within six months.
• No further fibroid growth has been discovered to date in women who have had UFE.
Advantages of UFE over other alternatives
Since UFE is a non-surgical procedure, it provides patients with many advantages:
• Recovery is much faster (usually 3-7 days) and the patient usually has less pain and fewer complications than those associated with traditional surgical treatments.
• The procedure does not require general anesthesia and can be done in an outpatient setting, reducing the length of stay in the hospital.
• Results of the procedure to date have been excellent, with an 88-92% success rate in alleviation of symptoms.
• The risk of post-operative bleeding and scarring inside the body is much less than with other surgical treatments.
• There is no abdominal incision or scar with this minimally invasive procedure.
3200 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508
1st Floor -
Uterine Fibroid Embolization
The UFE procedure
After a UFE procedure
Side effects & risks
Alternatives to UFE
How to get started
Notice of Privacy Practices
Providence Alaska Medical Center
Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center
Providence Seward Medical & Care Center
Providence Valdez Medical Center
Providence Hospitals Outside Alaska
Classes & Training
Medical Office Space
Road 2 Retirement