Providence Health & Services
Insurance & Billing
Day of Procedure
Talking To Children
Your Pain Management
We are going to be asking about your pain frequently.
• You may have pain with medical or surgical procedures.
• Pain is SUBJECTIVE and INDIVIDUAL
• The pain Is YOUR pain – not the doctor’s or nurse’s
• YOU are the judge
• If you do not receive enough medication and you are in pain, you cannot cooperate with your recovery.
• Your goal is to find a balance. If you receive too much medication or sedation you cannot cooperate with your recovery. Report all chest or possible heart pain to your health care provider or family immediately.
We would like you to use the Pain Scale Shown below:
to “just barely noticeable. It may not be possible to get down to this level. If you do, GREAT.
Pain is present
, but you may have to stop and think about it to really tell it is there and not gone. You feel fairly comfortable…let’s keep it there!
You now notice
your pain perhaps at rest or during activity. It may interfere with your activities. The level at which it is a good idea to start to do something toward relief is 3-4.
Your pain is distracting you
, and you may be able to focus on something else rather than the pain for only a short periods of time. You may be gritting your teeth or holding your breath to carry out activities.
Your pain may be severe
enough that it makes you stop in the middle of an activity, or not be able to complete it at all. It is difficult to think of anything else but your pain. You may be uncomfortable during rest or quiet times.
Your pain is now the worst
you can imagine, though it is not necessary for you to be “crying” at this level.
For more information
For more information about surgery services at Providence Alaska Medical Center, please call (907) 212-3681. To find general information and specific health topics, visit our online
3200 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508
Day of surgery letter
Patient medical history form
Preoperative Clinic letter
Notice of Privacy Practices
Providence Alaska Medical Center
Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center
Providence Seward Medical & Care Center
Providence Valdez Medical Center
Providence Hospitals Outside Alaska
Classes & Training
Medical Office Space
Road 2 Retirement